Eggplant Bake with Sweet and Sour Onions
Posted on 09 November 2015
This savory dish is packed full of flavor. Enjoy it as a main dish or serve it on top of your favorite pasta with toasted bread and your favorite glass of wine. We've paired it with Massucco Roero wine. The slight sweetness of the Roero is a perfect complement to the sweet and sour onions.
- 2 medium-sized eggplants, roasted and chopped into bite-sized pieces (see below)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jar Migliarese Sweet and Sour Onion Fillets
- 1 jar Migliarese Tomato Puree
- 1/2 cup of grated cheese such as Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Migliarese Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for serving
- 1 lb. Astorino Strozzapreti (optional recipe - see below)
For the Eggplant:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice each eggplant in half, lengthwise. Score the flesh of the eggplant diagonally, taking care not to pierce the flesh. Place each eggplant slice flesh side down in a baking dish and roast for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees in preparation for baking the main dish.
For the Main Dish:
- Brown the ground beef in a large pan.
- When the meat is almost completely cooked, add the chopped garlic and the Migliarese Sweet and Sour Onion Fillets. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and gently add the Migliarese Tomato Puree. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add a little bit of water to thin it out to your preferred consistency.
- Meanwhile, scoop out the flesh of the eggplant, taking care not to destroy the eggplant skins. Roughly chop the skin into bite-size pieces. Add the eggplant to the meat and sauce mixture and mix well.
- Place the eggplant skins back in the baking dish. Scoop the eggplant and meat mixture into each skin. Sprinkle the tops with grated cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake in the oven until bubbly, approximately 15 minutes. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and more grated cheese, if desired.
- While roasting the eggplant, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the Astorino Strozzapreti pasta and cook according to package instructions.
- Once the eggplant and beef are combined (step 4 above), add it to the pasta and serve with grated cheese. The mixture makes for a filling pasta sauce.