Eggplant Sauce with a Kick
Posted on 28 September 2015
It only takes 25 minutes from start to finish to create this flavorful dish! Serve with a side salad and a dry, spicy red wine. We recommend Terre di Poggi Pinot Noir.
- 1 lb pound of Astorino Strozzapreti
- 1/4 cup Migliarese Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 T Migliarese Chili Pepper Cream
- 1 jar Migliarese Eggplant Fillets, chopped
- Dried or fresh oregano
- 5 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup Migliarese Tomato Pulp
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil. Add onion and saute until golden. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for five minutes. Gently incorporate the chili pepper cream. A little goes a long way, and one tablespoon will give just the right amount of kick.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the chopped eggplant fillets and simmer for about five minutes. Place the fresh spinach on top of the sauce and allow the leaves the wilt, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomato pulp and mix well. Add cherry tomatoes and shake the pan to mix.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta to your desired taste, approximately 10 to 13 minutes.
- Drain the pasta but do not rinse. Pour the pasta back into the pot and add a little bit of olive oil. Add the sauce to the pasta and stir well to combine. So much of the flavor comes from the vegetables and chili pepper cream that you probably won't need to add salt and pepper, but adjust to your liking.
- Serve with grated Pecorino Romano cheese on top to complement the hot chili pepper flavor.