Beef Braised in Veglio Barolo
Posted on 25 March 2015
The beef braised in Barolo is a family recipe courtesy of Veglio Michelino e Figlio. The tender veal is infused with the rich, bold flavors of Veglio Barolo.
- 2 lbs veal shoulder
- 2 T butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1 bottle of Veglio Michelino e Figlio Barolo
- Fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cloves
- salt and pepper
- 24 oz. beef stock
1. Using a large pot, sear the veal shoulder.
2. Remove the veal from the pot and add the butter and finely chopped vegetables. Cook and stir until soft. Deglaze the pan with a small amount of Veglio Michelino e Figlio Barolo.
3. Place the veal back in the pot with the rosemary and bay leaves. Gently pour the remainder of the Barolo over the meat. Allow it to reduce by half.
4. Add enough beef stock to the pot to cover the veal. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 hour.
5. Remove the meat. Strain the sauce, discarding the remaining vegetables and spices. If desired, place the sauce back on the stove to thicken. Slice the veal and serve with the sauce as a garnish over the slices.