Strozzapreti with Pumpkin and Sausage
Posted on 16 November 2014
The flavors of fall shine in this recipe featuring a pumpkin sauce and grilled sausage.
- 1 bag Astorino Strozzapreti
- 1 1/2 pound Italian sausages
- 1/4 cup Migliarese extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup white wine (we used Tonnino Mediterraneo)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Herbs (we used oregano, sage and thyme)
- 1 cup whole milk or heavy cream to make a creamier texture
- Salt and pepper
- Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Preheat grill to medium high heat.
2. Chop the onion and garlic. Add olive oil to a hot pot. Add the chopped onion. Stir and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Lower the heat to medium and slowly pour the white wine into the pot. Cook to reduce by half.
3. Slice the sausages into bite-size pieces, place on griddle pan on grill and cooked until doneness. You can also grill each sausage and slice after they are cooked.
4. When the pasta water is boiling, add a little olive oil and salt. Add the pasta and cook for approximately 13 minutes.
5. Turn the heat of the sauce pot down to low. Add the pumpkin puree to the white wine, garlic and onion. Stir and season well with a pinch of nutmeg, fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Continue to cook the sauce for about 8 minutes.
6. Add the cup of milk or heavy cream. Simmer until pasta is finished cooking. Meanwhile, add the sausage slices to the sauce to keep them warm.
7. When the pasta is cooked, drain the pot but do not rinse. Combine the pasta with the sauce and mix well.
8. Serve with a generous amount of Pecorino Romano cheese and an extra drizzle of olive oil.
Pair this recipe with a glass of chilled Tonnino Mediterraneo. The fresh fruit flavors and sweet aroma of the Mediterraneo make a wonderful complement to the creamy pumpkin sauce and rustic flavor of the grilled sausage.